Benefits of Botox Injections
Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau are similar cosmetic injectables formulated with botulinum toxin. Botulinum toxin injections are effective for treating the appearance of wrinkles and lines. Dr. Kam will discuss the subtle differences between these products during the wrinkle reduction consultation.
Botulinum toxin injections with Dr. Kam offer the following benefits:
- Non-Surgical Brow Lift
Lift and restore the arch above the brows by relaxing muscles that pull the eyebrows down.
- Smooth Forehead Lines
Relax forehead muscles that cause horizontal forehead lines.
- Relax Frown Lines (the “11s”)
Stop the brow muscles’ repetitive movement to reduce scrunching that creates vertical lines between the eyebrows
- Erase Crow’s Feet
Relax the muscles around the eyes to reduce the crow’s feet lines resulting from squinting and smiling.
- Reduce Under-Eye Wrinkles
Relax the muscles under the lower eyelid to reduce the development of facial wrinkles and lines caused by squinting.
- Relax Corners of the Mouth
With age, gravity pulls the corners of the mouth down. Relaxing the muscles around the mouth raises the corners for a youthful appearance.
- Reduce Neck Bands
Relaxing the platysma muscle in the neck can smooth the two vertical bands seen at the front of the neck.
- Smooth a Dimpled Chin
Relax the mentalis muscle to eliminate chin dimples.
Dr. Kam may recommend Botox or another neuromodulator combined with an injectable dermal filler, such as Juvederm or Restylane, to restore volume loss in nasolabial folds (smile lines). Kam Facial Plastic Surgery offers surgical and non-surgical treatments that may be combined with Botox to accomplish goals for more youthful, healthy skin.
Healthy, youthful skin is easy with the help of injectable botulinum toxin treatments to eliminate lines and wrinkles. FDA-approved botulinum toxins include Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, and Jeuveau. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, botulinum toxins are the #1 most popular injectable treatment, with over 7 million injections each year. As a leading plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Kam is dedicated to helping patients reach their goals. She carefully listens to their objectives and concerns before recommending the best path toward younger-looking, healthy skin.
What is Botox?
Botox is a prescription medicine based on botulinum toxin injected into muscles to reduce and prevent wrinkles. By treating muscle spasms and reducing the muscle movements that create facial lines, some facial creases can be reduced when smiling, squinting, or looking surprised. Newer arrivals to the botulinum toxin market, Dysport, Xeomin, and Jeuveau, work similarly to reduce dynamic wrinkles. Because all of these products modify the way that nerves send signals in our bodies, they are called neuromodulators.
Similarities between Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau:
- Are non-surgical injectable procedures, derived from botulinum toxin
- Are painless except for temporary mild tenderness at the injection site
- Can typically be completed in 20 minutes
- Reduce muscle contractions that develop wrinkles
- Smooth skin by relaxing facial muscles in specific areas
- Relax the brow depressor with a non-surgical brow lift
- Prevent repetitive facial expressions leading to wrinkles
- Are not recommended for pregnant women or individuals on muscle spasm prescription drugs
- Prevent wrinkles and lines from deepening
- Produce results that last 2-4 months
- Have maintenance treatments that can provide continuous results
- Are FDA-approved as a safe wrinkle treatment when administered by a medical professional
- Are approved for cosmetic use
- Are technique-based injectables that should be performed by a professional with extensive experience
Differences between Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau:
- Botox is the first FDA-approved neuromodulator made by Allergan.
- Dysport is a newer FDA-approved neuromodulator made by Galderma.
- Jeuveau is the newest FDA-approved neuromodulator and is made by Evolus.
- The number of days it takes to see results differs slightly between Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau.
- Results may slightly last longer with one product over another, depending on the area treated and the patient’s response.
- During your consultation, Dr. Kam will explain the subtle differences between Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau.
- Dysport is not recommended for people with milk allergies.
- Botulinum toxins are not recommended for pregnant women or individuals using muscle spasm medication.
Dr. Kam sees patients in Voorhees and Sewell, NJ. During the confidential consultation, she analyzes the patient’s skin, reviews their medical condition and history, and recommends treatment options, customized to each patient’s concerns. Partial relaxation or complete “freezing” of the target muscles can be achieved—this is personalized to each patient’s preference.
Dr. Kam shares before-and-after photos to explain the procedure and possible risks, and she shares preparation, expected results, and recovery instructions. Dr. Kam prioritizes realistic, natural-looking results and personalizes each treatment plan to match each patient’s unique concerns.
Preparing for Botox Injections
Dr. Kam provides instructions about this cosmetic treatment during the consultation. Minimal preparation is required for wrinkle reduction injections using Botox or other botulinum toxins. Patients are encouraged to avoid anti-inflammatory pain medications including aspirin or ibuprofen, as well as alcohol, blood thinners, and supplements such as fish oil, garlic, ginkgo, and ginseng in the days before receiving the injections because these medications can increase the risk of bleeding.
Dr. Kam may ask patients to avoid massage and laser or electrical treatments immediately before the injections.
Botox Injection Procedure
Dr. Kam performs Botox injections at Kam Facial Plastic Surgery in Voorhees, NJ. She begins the procedure by cleaning and prepping the treatment area. A topical numbing cream can be used, though many patients find the procedure nearly painless, and don’t need any numbing. She explains the number of injections, locations, and expected results during the consultation.
Depending on the patient’s goals, she injects small amounts of Botox to provide natural-looking results. The procedure typically takes 20 minutes. Results are gradual and take effect over 1-2 weeks after treatment.
Recovery after Botox
The recovery time after injections of botulinum toxin is minimal. There may be mild soreness or a pressure sensation at the injection site. The sensation typically resolves within 1-2 days. Many patients can have botulinum toxin injections during a lunch break and return to office work without issue.
Dr. Kam will provide personalized post-Botox instructions based on the patient’s normal activities and work environment. Patients should avoid strenuous activity for the remainder of the day and avoid massaging the treated area.
Aftercare is minimal. Post-procedure discomfort is typically mild. An ice pack in the treatment area can help minimize any bruising and swelling.
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
The cost of Botox Cosmetic and other botulinum toxin injections differs between patients based on the product, treatment area, and number of injections. Pricing details are discussed during the consultation with Dr. Kam. Patients may apply for CareCredit.