Benefits of Scar Revision
Noticeable scars are unique to the individual, and many treatments are available to reduce their visibility and provide optimal results. Unfavorable scars may be disfiguring, pigmented, raised, depressed, jagged, bold, or intersect with the natural folds and creases of the face. The benefits of scar treatments involve improvements to the scar, such as:
- A narrow and prominent scar into a fine line
- Reposition scar into skin creases or folds
- Improve color match to the surrounding skin
- Flatten the scar to make it level with the surrounding skin
- Lift up depressed or “indented” scars
- Increased self-confidence
A facial scar caused by an accident, injury, or surgery can be particularly stressful. Raised, depressed, discolored, thick, hyperpigmented, or keloid scars can be treated by a highly qualified plastic surgeon, so they are far less noticeable.
What is Scar Revision?
Scar revision is a minor procedure to improve the appearance of an unwanted scar, regardless of whether the scar was caused by surgical incisions, acne breakouts, sore, burn, or injury. During the healing process, clusters of scar tissue change the appearance and texture of the skin.
Scar revision aesthetically improves the appearance of the scar, but it cannot completely erase it. Dr. Kam specializes in surgical scar revision and non-invasive, minimally-invasive scar revision treatments. She may recommend a combination of procedures to achieve the best results.
Scar Revision Consultation in Voorhees, NJ
During the initial consultation in Voorhees, NJ, Dr. Kam performs a comprehensive assessment of the area and recommends a treatment plan. The scar revision surgery aims to improve the appearance of a raised, prominent, discolored, restrictive, distorted, or depressed scar. The patient should have realistic expectations. Dr. Kam will create a unique treatment plan that may include a combination of surgical and non-surgical techniques and may be performed in multiple stages, depending on the circumstances.
Scar Revision Preparation
Dr. Kam provides each patient with postsurgical instructions during the consultation. The preparation process for scar revision surgery is dependent on the specific details of the procedure. But, pretreatment and aftercare are equally essential to ensure optimum results. Follow all of the instructions provided by Dr. Kam, including:
- Adjust or pause medication as directed by Dr. Kam.
- Halt smoking at least one month before the procedure because it hinders healing.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs, herbal remedies, and aspirin in the weeks before and after surgery as they increase the risk of bleeding.
- Stay out of the sun, and do not get sunburned.
SCAR REVISION PROCEDURE
Dr. Kam performs scar revision procedures in Voorhees, NJ, at Kam Facial Plastic Surgery. Patients are kept comfortable during the process and may receive local anesthesia (numbing medication), intravenous sedation, or general anesthesia, depending on the extent of the surgery.
Dr. Kam provides each patient with a customized treatment plan depending on the severity of the scarring, size, type, and location. In some cases, significant improvement is achieved with a single technique. However, the plastic surgeon may recommend combining scar removal techniques and technologies to achieve optimum results.
The surgical procedure may include the removal of the old scar, followed by a layered closure that extends the tissue below the surface using absorbable sutures. Dr. Kam specializes in advanced techniques. Come common techniques include:
- Scar Excision – removal of the unsightly scar and meticulous closure of the skin if there is adequate adjacent skin.
- Z or W-plasty – repositioning of the unsightly, original scar to coincide with the skin’s natural lines.
- Skin grafting – removal of the excess scar tissue, followed by coverage of the area using skin harvested from another place on the body, to conceal the area. The skin graft is commonly used to address scarring caused by burns.
- Skin flap – removal of the scar followed by advancement or rotation of the adjacent skin to cover the scar site.
- Tissue expansion – A tissue expander is placed under the skin near the site, and an inflatable balloon slowly fills with a sterile solution to expand the healthy skin. Dr. Kam removes the expander and scar when the skin has sufficiently stretched, and moves the stretched skin to replace the scar tissue. This complex procedure involves multiple surgical stages to achieve the final results.
Scar Revision Therapy or Accompanying Treatments
Surgical revision allows patients to look and feel more confident about their appearance. The revised scar tightens and finally relaxes into a lighter, more subtle color. The healing process takes about one year, and the spot typically starts as red but gradually fades.
When the scar heals, Dr. Kam may recommend additional therapy after surgery, such as:
- Steroid injections (Kenalog or Triamcinolone acetonide) reduce the thickness of visible scar tissue. The steroid application can also reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Dermabrasion (mechanical resurfacing) can help further reduce the appearance of the scar, and help it blend into the surrounding skin.
- Resurfacing laser therapy may stimulate new collagen production and reduce the appearance of scars.
Scar Revision Recovery
Dr. Kam creates a customized scar revision plan during the consultation, based on the scar’s appearance and location. The degree of improvement depends on the size, type, and location of the scar tissue form. Differing areas of the body heal differently. Some areas heal in a week or less, while others take two weeks to heal. Dr. Kam explains what to anticipate during the consultation and gives detailed aftercare instructions as well as tips for a smooth recovery from scar revision surgery.
Scar revision patients should follow all wound care instructions and avoid injuring the area during normal activities. While the scar will never disappear completely, the revision process will create a smoother, less conspicuous spot that blends better with the patient’s natural facial lines and skin tone.
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Scar Revision Cost
The cost of scar revision surgery varies depending on the size and location of the scar. Medical insurance may sometimes cover the cost of scar revision surgery. The Kam Facial Plastic surgery office personnel will discuss the total cost and payment options like Care Credit.