Lip Lift Benefits
Lip lift surgery transforms the face with minor changes to the upper lip. Unlike filler, the results are permanent. It’s beneficial for young people who want to improve the appearance of their lips and for older individuals who have noticed a loss of height from the red part of the upper lip over time.
Dr. Kam personalizes the lip lift in Voorhees, NJ, to match each patient’s goals. Lip lift surgery features benefits like:
- Enhance a thin upper lip
- Show more of the upper teeth, especially with smiling
- Improved natural smile
- Reduce fine lines on the upper lip
- Permanent enhancement
- Minimal downtime, quick recovery
Full lips give a more sensual and youthful appearance. The aging process causes the upper lip to thin and lengthen, altering this desirable and highly sought-after feature. Although lip filler can temporarily add volume, it cannot permanently correct an extended upper lip or improve teeth show.
What is a Lip Lift?
Lip lift surgery is a popular cosmetic treatment that adds volume to the upper lip. Genetics and age cause the upper lip to lengthen and partially cover the top teeth, altering the smile. Shortening the space between the nose and upper lip gives the red upper lip more visibility and fully reveals the smile. Dr. Kam customizes each lift lip to match her patient’s goals, making subtle but substantial improvements.
Lip Lift Consultation in Voorhees, NJ
Dr. Joanna Kam specializes in lip lifts, and she provides natural-looking, noticeable lip improvements. Ideal candidates are in good health, have no wound healing problems, and have a long, thin upper lip. But most lip lift patients will find that they are bothered by an upper lip that covers the top teeth when smiling. Often, the distance between the nose and upper lip is longer than average.
During the consultation, Dr. Kam analyzes the contours of the lips and develops a treatment plan to match the patient’s specific goals.
Lip Lift Preparation
The lip lift procedure is a simple one, preparation is important. Stop vaping and smoking at least a month prior to surgery, and pause herbal medications unless approved by the doctor. Avoid wearing jewelry and makeup on the day of surgery..
Arrange a ride to and from surgery, and stock some soft foods at home to enjoy after the surgery. Dr. Kam discusses the details of surgery and provides postoperative instructions during the lip lift consultation in Voorhees, NJ.
Lip Lift Procedure
The lip lift procedure in Voorhees, NJ, is typically performed using local anesthesia. The procedure typically takes 45 minutes to one hour.
Dr. Kam applies a topical ointment to numb the area, then injects a numbing medication. She creates incisions directly under the nostrils or along the border of the upper lip. Dr. Kam gently elevates the tissue and skin through the incisions to create a fuller, more shapely upper lip. She removes excess skin and sutures the area. The surgery noticeably elevates the upper margin of the upper lip, enhancing its shape and creating fullness.
Types of Lip Lifts
An incision in the shape of a bullhorn is created in the crease under the base of the nose, and the lip is lifted up towards the nose. The subnasal bullhorn is one of the most common types of lip lift, and addresses the central portion of the lip. The scar is usually hidden along the base of the nose.
Corner Lip Lift (Grin Lift):
Two small incisions are created at the corners of the mouth, and a small amount of skin is removed to raise the corners. This procedure is used when someone feels the corners of their lips are downturned. The corner lip lift can be performed with a subnasal lip lift to add fullness to the entire upper lip, or can be performed along to improve the corners only.
Lip Lift Recovery
Most patients experience mild-to-moderate discomfort and lip swelling for the first few days after the procedure. The majority of the swelling will resolve within 7-14 days. Most patients resume their normal activities within one week. In general, patients should:
- Plan to rest for 24 hours after the procedure
- Stop smoking before surgery
- Avoid drinking with a straw for 2 weeks
- Avoid straining lips excessively for 2 weeks
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 1-2 weeks after the procedure
- Avoid sleeping on the face while the incision is healing
- Avoid opening the mouth too wide while the incision is healing
- Stick to soft foods while the incision is healing
- When brushing teeth, avoid hitting the upper lip
- Keep lips moisturized, following the doctor’s instructions
- Clean the incisions, following the doctor’s instructions
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Lip Lift Cost
The cost of a lip lift in Voorhees, NJ, can vary based on several factors. Kam Facial Plastic surgery offers affordable payment options through Care Credit. Dr. Kam discusses the cost of surgery during the consultation.