Neck Lift Benefits
Neck lift surgery in Voorhees, NJ, improves patient self-confidence by:
- Removing a double chin
- Transforming and contouring a turkey neck or wattle
- Removing pockets of fat from the neckline and under the chin
- Tightening loose neck skin
- Improving jawline definition
- Small hidden scar
- Restoring a youthful appearance to the neck
- Smoothing the overall facial appearance
The neck significantly affects the shape of our jawline, how others perceive our age and our overall appearance. Neck lift surgery is personalized to transform a turkey neck, tighten loose neck bands, contour the jawline, and remove stubborn fat pockets. The area under the chin can be resistant to diet and exercise and sags with age. The neck lift procedure discreetly tightens, removes excess skin, and gives men and women a younger-looking appearance.
What is a Neck Lift?
A neck lift is a cosmetic procedure known as a platysmaplasty or lower rhytidectomy that improves the appearance of the neck and jawline by removing excess tissue and tightening loose skin and muscles. The neck lift procedure helps patients who struggle with a turkey neck, double chin, or sagging skin to transform their appearance. Dr. Kam personalizes neck lift surgery for each patient. A neck lift may be combined with a facelift, eyelid surgery, or another surgical procedure to refresh multiple areas of concern.
Neck lift surgery typically involves:
- Neck liposuction
- Removing unwanted subplatysmal fat
- Tightening the platysma muscles
- Redraping the skin
Dr. Joanna Kam, MD, uses technological advances to ensure minimal scarring, a quicker recovery, and exceptional neck lift results.
Neck Lift Consultation in Voorhees, NJ
Dr. Joanna Kam provides consultation for neck lift surgery in Sewell and Voorhees, NJ, for men and women who are dissatisfied with their neck and jawline. During the consultation, the neck lift surgeon reviews the patient’s medical history, drug allergies, previous surgeries, current medications, and aesthetic goals before recommending a treatment plan.
Dr. Kam personalizes each neck surgery to match her patient’s concerns and goals. The process may involve:
- A mini neck lift
- A full neck lift
- A neck lift combined with a facelift, eyebrow lift, or another cosmetic procedure.
During the consultation, Dr. Kam examines the patient’s face and neck and discusses treatment options. She explains the surgical details, the benefits and risks, the recovery, and the anticipated results. Dr. Kam can customize surgery when the patient requests a facelift or another procedure along with a neck lift.
Neck Lift Preparation
Dr. Kam provides patients with postsurgical neck lift instructions during consultation. In general:
- Review all medication with Dr. Kam. Take daily medication unless specified by the doctor.
- Stop supplements, vitamins, and medications that increase the risk of bleeding, such as products containing aspirin, ibuprofen, ginseng, ginkgo, and garlic. Prescription blood thinners should be discussed with Dr. Kam.
- Follow instructions for eating and drinking the night before.
- Wash with soap and water the morning of surgery, but avoid perfume, make-up, hair products, lotions, and jewelry that day
- Wear comfortable clothes and a button-up or zip-up shirt on the day of surgery
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from the neck lift procedure.
Neck Lift Procedure
Dr. Kam explains the details of surgery during the consultation, including incision placement, type of anesthesia, and postoperative care. She may perform the neck lift procedure under sedation or general anesthesia. The skilled surgeon carefully hides the incision beneath the chin.
During the surgery, fatty tissue is removed from the area, and underlying neck muscles are tightened to improve the appearance of the neckline and jawline. Liposuction may also be used to further sculpt this area for desired results. Typically, no drain is used, and the patient returns home on the same day with a compression garment around their head and neck.
Neck Lift Recovery
Each neck lift surgery is unique, and Dr. Kam provides detailed aftercare instructions and a timeline of neck lift recovery based on the surgery. She usually replaces the compression bandages the day after surgery. Patients typically return after the first week for suture removal, but dissolvable sutures may be used in some cases.
The neck lift recovery time varies from patient to patient, and Dr. Kam provides detailed information during the consultation. Generally, it takes about two weeks for the swelling to decrease, and patients may experience bruising that lasts a few weeks. During this recovery period, normal activities can be resumed after a week, but physical activities should be avoided until cleared by Dr. Kam.
Patients should sleep and rest with their heads elevated, apply ice at intervals, and wear a compression dressing to encourage the neck region’s healing. Dr. Kam prescribes prescription pain medication to reduce discomfort.
Most of the bruising and swelling fade within the first two weeks. The final results are typically seen in 4 to 6 months. The scar under the chin is hidden and fades during the first six months to one year.
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Neck Lift Cost
Dr. Kam creates a unique neck lift surgical plan based on the patient’s concerns and aesthetic goals, and the price varies based on the surgery details. Dr. Kam discusses the cost of surgery during the consultation. Medical insurance typically classifies neck lift surgery (lower rhytidectomy) as cosmetic surgery, which is not covered. Kam Facial Plastic Surgery takes Care Credit.