Mandible Contouring Benefits
Mandible contouring can significantly improve self-confidence, allowing individuals to feel more comfortable in their feminine appearance. This same-day procedure provides a natural-looking result, preserving the individual’s unique facial features while creating a softer, more feminine jawline.
Mandible contouring surgery is a facial feminization surgery performed by Dr. Joanna Kam to create a smoother, more feminine jawline. This surgery sculpts the masculine, square jaw into a softer, oval or V-shape by shaving and reshaping the jawbone.
What is Mandible Contouring?
Mandible contouring, also known as jaw contouring or v-line surgery, reshapes the lower jaw to create a more feminine facial profile. This surgery reduces the square shape, prominence, and size of a stereotypically masculine jawline to create a tapered jaw that is considered more feminine.
Ideal Candidates for Mandible Contouring
Mandible contouring is highly customizable and can significantly improve the appearance of the lower face. The ideal candidates for mandible contouring are those who:
- Are in good general health
- Have realistic expectations about the results
- Desire a more feminine or delicate-looking jawline
- Feel their jaw is too prominent, square, or masculine
- Are non-smokers or willing to quit smoking before and after the procedure
- Are willing to follow post-procedure care instructions
It’s important to note that a comprehensive consultation with Dr. Kam is necessary to determine if mandible contouring is the right procedure for you. During this consultation, Dr. Kam will conduct a thorough physical examination, review your medical history, and discuss your aesthetic goals. This information will allow her to develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and desires.
The Mandible Contouring Procedure
The mandible contouring procedure is a meticulous process that requires precision and a deep understanding of facial anatomy. Here is a general overview of the steps involved in the procedure
- Preparation: The patient is prepared for surgery, including the administration of general anesthesia.
- Incision: An intraoral incision is made inside the mouth to gain access to the lower jawbone.
- Reshaping: The jawbone and chin bone are carefully shaved and reshaped using specialized surgical tools to reduce the jawline’s width and create a smooth, oval or V shape from the ears to the chin.
- Closure: The incisions are closed with dissolvable sutures, and a compression dressing is applied to minimize swelling and support the new jawline contour.
This procedure takes 1.5 hours or more, and the specifics will vary based on the individual’s facial structure and desired results. It can be combined with other facial feminization procedures, or with liposuction or facelift for more enhanced facial contouring.
Potential Risks and Complications
As with any surgical procedure, mandible contouring carries some risk of complications. These can include pain, bleeding, infection, and hematoma. There is also a risk of chin numbness or lip weakness due to potential nerve damage during the procedure. However, these risks are minimized when the procedure is performed by a skilled and experienced surgeon like Dr. Kam.
It’s essential for patients to discuss any concerns they have about the procedure with Dr. Kam during their consultation. She will provide comprehensive information about the procedure, potential risks, and the expected recovery process to help patients make informed decisions about the treatment.
Recovery for Mandible Contouring
Immediately after the procedure, patients can expect a moderate amount of swelling, which is a normal part of the healing process. This swelling generally improves over several weeks.
The first few days post-surgery are typically the most uncomfortable, with swelling and discomfort at their peak. It’s important to rest, stay hydrated, and follow all post-operative care instructions during this time.
Here is a general timeline for recovery:
- Day of Surgery: Patients can return home the same day to begin their recovery. Patients will leave the outpatient surgery center wearing a compression bandage and are asked to keep it on per the surgeon’s instructions.
- First Week: Moderate swelling and discomfort begin to subside. Patients are advised to use a prescription mouthwash three times daily to prevent infection.
- Several Weeks: The swelling continues to decrease, and the new jawline contour becomes more visible. Patients can gradually resume their normal activities, but strenuous exercise should still be avoided until they are cleared by their surgeon.
Remember that this is a general timeline, and individual recovery times can vary. It’s important to attend all follow-up appointments with Dr. Kam to ensure a smooth recovery and the best possible results.
Natural, Long-Lasting Results of Mandible Contouring
The results of mandible contouring are transformative and long-lasting, often permanently altering the shape of the jawline for a softer, more feminine appearance. The procedure not only reshapes the jaw but also affects every other feature of the face, creating a harmonious balance that enhances overall facial aesthetics.
While the immediate post-operative period is characterized by swelling and bruising, these effects gradually subside over several weeks, revealing the new contour of the jawline. It’s important to remember that the final results may take several months to become fully visible as the body continues to heal and adapt to the new facial structure.
Why Choose Dr. Kam for Mandible Contouring?
Choosing the right surgeon for your mandible contouring procedure is a crucial decision that can significantly impact your results. Dr. Joanna Kam is a board-certified otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon with additional training in facial plastic surgery. She brings a unique combination of medical expertise, artistic vision, and compassionate care to every procedure.
Here are several reasons to choose Dr. Kam for your mandible contouring procedure:
- Personalized approach: Dr. Kam understands that every patient is unique. She takes the time to understand each patient’s goals and develops a customized treatment plan tailored to their individual needs and desires.
- Commitment to patient safety: Patient safety is a top priority for Dr. Kam. She performs procedures in a state-of-the-art outpatient surgery center and follows stringent safety protocols to minimize risks.
- Natural-looking results: Dr. Kam has the knowledge and experience needed to perform complex facial procedures with precision and care. She strives to achieve results that look natural and harmonious, enhancing each patient’s unique beauty.
- Ongoing care and support: Dr. Kam provides comprehensive post-operative care and is available to address any concerns or questions from pre-op through recovery.
By choosing Dr. Kam for your mandible contouring procedure, you can trust that you are in skilled and caring hands.
Cost of Mandible Contouring
Mandible contouring costs can greatly fluctuate based on the complexity involved. Mandible contouring is a complex procedure that requires a surgeon with extensive experience and a deep understanding of facial anatomy. When selecting a surgeon, choose a surgeon based on their qualifications and proven results, rather than cost alone. During your consultation with Dr. Kam, she will provide a detailed cost estimate based on your personalized treatment plan.
Mandible Contouring FAQ
Mandible contouring is a surgical procedure that reshapes a square, prominent jaw and chin to have a softer, rounder, narrower appearance, giving the individual a more feminine look.
Yes, jawline contouring surgery is a long-lasting and often permanent solution to improve the shape of the jawline. However, facial structure may change as we age, so some patients may desire touch-up surgeries or treatments in the future.
Contouring the mandible bone can decrease the size and look of the jaw, resulting in a less square, narrower jawline. Along with the more feminine aesthetic, it can correct jaw asymmetry and improve the proportions of the face.
Following the surgery, it is typical to experience swelling and bruising, which can persist for several weeks. While the initial changes may be noticeable, it may take several months for the final results to fully emerge, as the body undergoes the healing process.
Like any surgical procedure, mandible contouring has possible risks and complications to consider. These can include pain, bleeding, infection, hematoma, chin numbness, and lip weakness.
However, choosing a highly skilled and experienced surgeon like Dr. Kam will minimize these risks.
Mandible contouring is a complex procedure that requires an experienced surgeon. The cost can vary greatly depending on the complexity and customization of the treatment plan. It is best to request a consultation with Dr. Kam so she can provide an accurate cost based on your needs and goals. The majority of patients report that the benefits of the procedure far outweigh the cost.