Benefits of Rhinophyma Treatment
Advanced rhinophyma treatment options address the disfiguring overgrowth caused by overactive oil-producing glands. Rhinophyma treatment at Kam Facial Plastic surgery can improve patient self-confidence by:
- Removing bumps and smoothing skin
- Removing tissue overgrowth
- Reducing thick skin
- Restoring normal nose contour
- Reshaping a disfigured nose
- Minimizing enlarged blood vessels and redness
- Improving breathing ability
Rhinophyma can cause a bulbous nose with puffy, bumpy, thickened skin. This is a disorder that gradually worsens without treatment. Rhinophyma will not resolve itself. The extra skin caused by the skin disorder does not respond to oral or topical treatments. A plastic surgeon can address the progressive and potentially disfiguring skin condition.
What is Rhinophyma?
Rhinophyma a progressive, chronic inflammatory skin condition, considered by many to be a severe form of rosacea. It results from overactive sebaceous, oil-producing glands. Rhinophyma symptoms include broken blood vessels, oily skin, enlarged, inflamed, bumpy skin, and a large bulbous nose. Rhinophyma is more likely to develop in men than in women. Rhinophyma is not associated with alcoholism, though this was once thought to be true.
In some cases, the growth becomes disfiguring, and a large bulbous nasal tip may result in nasal obstruction, requiring surgery. Dr. Joanna Kam, MD, performs advanced laser treatments or surgery to address rhinophyma in Voorhees, NJ, at Kam Facial Plastic surgery.
Rhinophyma Treatment Consultation in Voorhees, NJ
Dr. Joanna Kam specializes in treatments that significantly improve rhinophyma and nasal enlargement. She offers compassionate care and effective treatments that help restore the patient’s natural appearance. During the consultation, Dr. Kam examines the nasal airway and may take a small skin biopsy if the diagnosis of rhinophyma is unclear.
Kam Facial Plastic surgery offers outstanding treatment options, including scalpel removal, laser resurfacing, dermabrasion, and surgery. During the consultation, Dr. Kam explains the procedure and techniques, as well as possible risks. Her ultimate goal is to provide her patients with the aesthetic results they desire.
Rhinophyma Treatment Preparation
Dr. Kam provides patients with rhinophyma treatment preparation instructions. These instructions are applicable for surgical procedures, CO2 laser resurfacing, scalpel, or razor blade removal.
- Take oral medication if prescribed.
- Review all medications with Dr. Kam prior to surgery, and follow her instructions on how to adjust these near the time of surgery.
- Stop or pause vitamins, medications, and supplements that increase the risk of bleeding, including aspirin, ibuprofen, garlic and ginkgo.
- On the procedure day, do not use hairstyling products, makeup or lotions.
- Dress comfortably on the day of surgery and wear a button-up or zip-up shirt.
- Arrange for a family member or loved one to drive you to and from the procedure.
Dr. Kam explains the details of the procedure during the consultation. She may use local anesthetic, with or without twilight sedation or general anesthesia depending on the extent of the rhinophyma and the surgery.
The type of treatment will depend on the gravity of the rhinophyma. Dr, Kam customizes the procedure to match the patient’s needs, and she may combine more than one technique to maximize the best results. Rhinophyma procedures typically takes about one hour, and the patient leaves the facility with the bandage covering the area.
Rhinophyma Treatment Options:
- CO2 laser
- Scalpel or razor blade removal
- Combination of laser and scalpel excision
Rhinophyma Treatment Recovery
Dr. Kam provides patients with specific postoperative instructions. Rhinophyma recovery involves moderate discomfort, and patients should prepare for a 10-day recovery period. During the first 7 to 10 days, patients experience swelling and crusting. During the first 48 hours, a sensation similar to severe sunburn is experienced.
Keep the treated area moistened with Vaseline, Aquaphor, or a prescription ointment, if it is provided, and covered with a dressing. After ten days, the area will feel itchy and tight but is healing already. Do not use lotions, moisturizers, or creams without discussing this with the surgeon. Itching and redness will gradually fade during the first weeks.
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Rhinophyma Treatment Cost
The extent of nasal thickening varies greatly in rhinophyma patients and the cost of rhinophyma treatment depends on the extent of the symptoms and the type of treatment. Medical insurance may cover a portion of the cost. During the consultation, Dr. Kam creates a customized rhinophyma treatment plan and discusses the cost of the procedure. Kam Facial Plastic Surgery accepts Care Credit.