Dr. Kam personalizes facelifts to address each patient’s goals. The benefits of facelift surgery include:
- Tighten creased wrinkled skin
- Lift jowls to give a V-shaped jawline
- Elevate cheeks to restore a more “apple-cheeked” appearance
- Reduce deep creases near the mouth known as marionette lines and smile lines
- Smooth the deep lines between the side of the nose and lower lip
- Contoured neckline
- Hidden incisions give barely perceptible scars
- Natural and elegant appearance
Regardless of how well we care for our skin, gravity causes the midface to descend, giving rise to jowls and a heavy lower face, accentuating wrinkles and facial lines, and deepening the nasolabial folds (smile lines). While we all recognize that facial aging is a fact of life, maintaining an elegant and graceful appearance is possible.
What is a Facelift?
Facelift surgery, also called rhytidectomy, is one of the most commonly performed surgeries in the United States. A poorly done facelift looks pulled, wind-blown, or overly tight. Dr. Kam provides natural-looking facelift results that keep others marveling at the youthful complexion of her patients. Natural rejuvenation allows her patients to look years younger than their peers while still looking like themselves.
Dr. Kam focuses on the lower half of the face and the neck during facelift surgery. She lifts and tightens the loose skin and deeper facial and neck tissues to provide natural-looking rejuvenation. A double chin, “turkey wattle”, neck bands, facial wrinkles, and jowls can be greatly improved with a neck lift. Dr. Kam may perform facelift surgery along with eyelid surgery, brow lift, chin augmentation, or other surgical procedures to help the patient reach their ultimate goals.
Facelift Consultation in Voorhees, NJ
During the initial consultation patients meet face-to-face with Dr. Kam to discuss their concerns. Together, they decide whether facelift surgery is the best course of treatment. Every facial structure is unique and each patient has a particular set of aging concerns.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kam will review the personal health history, discusses the patient’s personal goals, and formulates a unique plan to help each patient restore a more youthful appearance. She shares before and after photos, explains the risks and benefits, and may make suggestions for alternate or supplemental procedures to address each patient’s unique concerns.
Preparing for facelift surgery is similar to preparing for any surgery. Dr. Kam gives each patient thorough presurgical and post-surgical instructions at the consultation. Some of the general guidelines include:
- Complete recommended lab work or medical checkups.
- Stop supplements that thin the blood two weeks before the surgery.
- Discuss all medicines with the surgeon. Some medications may need to be paused before surgery.
- Stop smoking at least a month before the surgery.
- Ask a friend to drive you to and from the cosmetic procedure.
- Prepare your home with food and necessities.
- Plan to rest and recover after the surgery.
- Dress comfortably in a buttoned or zippered shirt.
- Do not wear contact lenses, jewelry, or makeup on the day of surgery.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight on the night before surgery.
- Write down any questions that you may have for the doctor.
Facelift is usually an outpatient procedure and typically takes 2 to 5 hours, depending on the complexity of the procedure.
Dr. Kam strategically creates hidden incisions along the back side of the ear cartilage, around the earlobe, in the crease behind the ear, and along the natural hairline. Different from the traditional facelifts procedure, she separates and lifts the skin tissue from the thin fibers covering the face and neck, known as the SMAS facelift. Next, she elevates the SMAS and repositions the facial tissue into a natural youthful position. As Dr. Kam lifts, the cheeks, jowls, and drooping skin along the jawline are raised to correct facial sagging.
Dr. Kam then sculpts the jawline, smooths fold and wrinkles, and removes and relocates fat for a more youthful appearance. She may create an additional incision under the chin to remove excess sagging skin from the chin, improve a double chin, or enhance the appearance of the neck. Dr. Kam strategically places sutures within the SMAS layers to support the changes and typically does not use drains. The entire procedure typically takes about 3 hours.
Dr. Kam provides patients with detailed aftercare instructions for long-lasting facelift results. Patients return home shortly after their surgery to rest and recover. They are encouraged to keep their head elevated, keep the surgical dressing in place, and apply ice intermittently to reduce swelling.
Patients typically present to the office the next day for an examination and to have the dressing removed. The specifics of your will influence the length and nature of your recovery. Most patients have a family member or friend stay with them for several days after the surgery to help during their early recovery.
A compression garment is worn for 7 to 10 days after surgery, and the stitches are usually removed in one week. For the recovery period, Dr. Kam prescribes antibiotics, anti-nausea medication, and pain medication to reduce the risk of infection and provide comfort for the patient. Some swelling and changes in skin sensations may last up to one year after surgery. Bruising typically fades within the first few days and disappears entirely within two weeks.
The facelift procedure leaves behind minimal scars that can easily be hidden along the hairline and in the natural creases behind the ears. In most cases, skin texture is improved and appears smoother, tighter, and more youthful. However, some patients may experience temporary skin changes such as numbness or tingling after surgery. These sensations typically resolve as healing occurs.
Patients may resume their regular activities, minus strenuous activity, within one week after discussing with Dr. Kam. Most patients feel comfortable in public 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. Patients are encouraged to contact the office anytime during recovery to discuss concerns or ask questions.
Why Choose DR. Kam
- Joanna Kam, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon certified in Otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- She completed a residency in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI.
- Dr. Kam was one of a handful of students in her medical school class nominated to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
The cost of facelift surgery varies depending on the surgical details. Dr. Kam customizes the facelift plan during the consultation, and will discuss pricing at this time. Because facelift surgery is elective cosmetic surgery, medical insurance will not cover the cost. Kam Facial Plastic surgery provides payment through Care Credit.